An inquisitive mind is a busy, active, reaching mind who loves to solve mysteries and develop destinations. Determining our dharma only asks that we continuously seek our deepest understandings of ourselves and what drives and impassions us.
While various religions and philosophies embrace and utilize the concept of dharma, there is no definitive definition. The overall idea is that our dharma is our passion and the reason we exist. Heady stuff, but most importantly, it’s the most exciting knowledge we’ll ever gain.
Not certain what your dharma is? You are far from alone, and we want to help! Asking questions, owning the ardor and zeal we feel for certain things and people, and trusting our truths are how we land with feet firmly walking along the path we’re meant to follow and love.
If you’ve already developed an understanding here, these questions and answers many coax an even more extensive and heartfelt commitment to your passion.
It’s crucial for each of us to understand our dharma is not necessarily how we make money, nor is it anything anyone can determine outside of ourselves. No one knows you the way you do. And this is the very best news. However, surrounding ourselves with others who seek constant growth and a deepening understanding of themselves and why they live the way they do will only light up our own paths with more luminosity and vivid comprehension. We need our mentors and examples of living dharma to propel us towards our own.
Grab a pen and paper or your laptop and get down with starting right here, right now. No moment of meditation or contemplation is a wasted moment. Can you feel that growing giddiness in depths of your spirit? Let’s get going.
- Where is your very favorite place in the whole world and why? If this answer came to you in a nanosecond, cool. Now, why is this your favorite place? What feelings or opportunities does this place evoke? If you’re not sure, that’s also quite amazing news. It means travel and exploration are your dharma right this moment. That doesn’t necessarily mean you have to get on a plane or pack. It might mean your journey is a book you’ve never read that will introduce you to concepts and beliefs you hadn’t yet considered in this life. Or, perhaps it’s dusting off your yoga mat and exploring breath, movement, and your inner teacher’s voice.
- What’s the one thing you want to do every single day without question? Omg, I LOVE this question. I didn’t use to love it because I didn’t have an answer. Now I know it’s to teach yoga to eager, willing, and passionate students who come to their mats to feel. If that one thing for you is being a parent, for example, each day offers singular thrilling moments, teaching opportunities, learning possibilities, and so much joy. Whatever it is, don’t let a day go by without experiencing the thing that gives you purpose. If you’re not yet clear on what that is, again, this is a big opportunity. Not yet knowing means each day offers you the chance to try things you’re interested in and curious about until you have that lightbulb moment of, “Oh. Yes. Here it is.” It’s intoxicating. Keep looking.
- What moment made you so uncomfortable that it propelled you forward? See, we kid ourselves sometimes and convince ourselves that discomfort is bad. That’s empirically untrue. When we embrace and revel in our discomfort, our truths come to light. Even really wonderful feelings can be so powerful that they cause us unease and we question what that’s all about. It may be that abandoning one identity so another layer of who we are can be revealed is the only way we cut the bullshit. Honesty is often coupled with discomfort, so look for those awkward moments and run towards them to find out what they offer.
- What were the three most compelling takeaways you learned from your biggest growth spurt? We’re not talking growing five inches in six months here. Growth and wisdom come at all ages. When it happens, we change. And everyone and everything around us changes too because we are different. Write down your lessons and where they took you. If it hasn’t happened yet, oh, it will. Welcome it and bear witness to how your life shifts to accommodate the new you.
- When did the Universe speak so loudly you had no choice but to listen? Synchronicity is a compelling force. Signs are everywhere, especially when we are really tuned in and alert. Stay vigilant and don’t ignore the obvious signs all around you leading you in the direction of passion, purpose, and deep contentment.
It doesn’t matter what anyone thinks or what everyone wants for you. What drives you? Where do your wisdom and insight lead you? Own it or find it and enjoy the experience of discovery. Enjoy the ride and be true to you. Dharma is your destiny when you are willing to walk with it. We are so incredibly excited for you.