Don’t you love a win/win situation?
I do. I seek them out and aim for that mathematical equation to make up the majority of the circumstances in my life.
Everything can’t be even. Sometimes you are simply the receiver. When it’s your turn to give, the only pay off might be that you feel good about what you’re doing and offering. And that’s most certainly no small thing. In fact, I believe it’s the entire point
It feels incredible to give to others. The giver benefits as much if not more than those they are providing for.
There is no shortage of ways to give. Giving is ubiquitous and everyone has something wonderful, helpful, and insightful to offer. It’s so cool that the way it works is the more we give, the happier we are. Win/win baby!
When we feel a deficit in our lives, often the inclination is to feed the well. And it’s a great instinct. The distinction is in how we go about doing that. We inherently know we’ve made a great choice in the way giving makes us feel. If you feel good, super decision. If you feel uncomfortable, regretful, begrudging, insincere, or anything along those lines, the motivation for giving comes from a place that’s not genuine or honest. Have you ever given an insincere compliment? So have I, and it felt icky. The motivation was manipulative, and that’s never going to do anyone any good.
Let’s further discuss motivation. It’s always the launch pad from which we give. Each time we chose to give something to another, checking in with what exactly propelled us to do so is a useful strategy. If the motivation comes from a loving place, we again arrive at a win/win finish line.
Many of us consider our dharma to be of service to others. That’s one of the most beautiful ways to provide love to the world.
Looking for ideas on how you can give today? Here’s a not so short list to jump-start your day and feed the well that provides us with balance and a sense of connection to others.
- Offer someone a ride to work whom you know doesn’t have transportation.
- Buy art from someone selling their creations on a street corner.
- Call a friend whom you know struggles with finding childcare and tell them to name a date they’d like you to come over and babysit.
- Give that friend who loves handcrafted soap some handcrafted soap.
- Tell someone whom you admire the reason you look up to them.
- Hug at least 10 people today.
- Listen to a stranger who really needs to be heard.
- Volunteer at a shelter, even if you only have an hour.
- Purchase a book you love and give it to someone whom you think will benefit from reading it.
- Move your mat in a crowded yoga class to offer space for a late-comer.
- Smile at everyone.
- Text or call someone to tell them you’re thinking of them.
- Invite someone to see a concert with you, your treat.
- Buy a broke friend lunch.
- Give blood if you can.
- Offer to walk someone’s dog if they have to work late.
- Offer to dog sit for a loved one who doesn’t feel comfortable with just anyone taking care of their baby.
- Basically, do something that involves helping dogs or any other animals.
- Braid someone’s hair for them.
- Paint a friend’s nails.
- Give someone your favorite crystal and tell them why it means so much to you.
- Remind someone they are loved.
- Teach a class for a sick yoga teacher looking for a sub.
- Give a friend some incense to infuse her new apartment or home with a glorious scent.
- Bake someone a cake.
- Make someone a mala bead bracelet.
- Help a stranger who dropped their belongings pick them up.
- Dispose of liter as you see it on your walk today.
- Buy the person in line behind you a coffee or juice.
- Send a card to a loved one.
- Visit with sick kids in the hospital.
- If you’re gifted with a lovely singing voice, sing for someone today.
- Help someone move.
- Buy someone a gift simply because you saw something you knew they’d like or that they need.
- Check on a sick or injured friend.
- Clean the bathroom so your partner doesn’t have to.
- Donate clothing you no longer wear or need to Goodwill or some similar organization.
- Laugh. It’s contagious.
- Make someone else laugh.
- Offer advice and wisdom if it would be helpful to another.
I could keep going, and I bet you could too. Make your own list and enjoy knowing you will positively impact someone today. Enjoy how that feels and own the knowledge you have so much more to offer than you probably realize.
Spread the love